Bennet Close was built in 1977 as part of the scheme that replaced a disused brass and iron foundry with a complex of 31 retirement flats and studios and a new public library. The development was named after Timothy Bennet the renowned cobbler of Hampton Wick who in 1754 successfully campaigned for free access through Bushy Park between Hampton Wick and Hampton after the 2nd Earl of Halifax had enclosed the park within a wall.
return to top